Organizing your home, especially the closets, can feel wonderful and freeing. But it can be a big challenge to reorganize, especially if it has been a while since your last clean-out. But to make it easier, all you need is a plan. Before you know it, your closet will look fantastic, and more importantly; you will always know the location of that sweater, your favorite pair of jeans, and those socks that keep going missing.
How you organize your closet will differ slightly based on the different spaces you have, the size of your wardrobe, and your lifestyle. However, these seven steps can be applied to any almost closet and any wardrobe:
- Gather your closet organization supplies, including a “toss” basket/bag.
- Empty the closet of all contents, including organizers.
- Clean your closet itself.
- Declutter your wardrobe and donate or sell the items you no longer need.
- Assess your closet storage options to work with your clothing, shoes, and accessories.
- Organize your items back into your closet by grouping similar items together and moving your favorites to easy access.
- Come up with a regular plan to keep your closet from getting cluttered again.